The most selective Nanny and Housekeeper agency in London.
Contact us for more information on nanny and housekeeper staffing
Exclusive domestic staffing, placing housekeepers and nannies in London.

Latest Training Courses

All courses provided by Home Affairs Training Academy

Employer Responsibility

If you are employing staff on a professional basis (basically anything other than au pairs), you will be subject to certain legal obligations, governed by employment and tax law in the UK. These include

Contract of Employment

Legally, employees must be issued with what are called written particulars of employment within 2 months of commencement of employment. The written particulars of employment are:

For more information, please visit the DTI website

Register with the Inland Revenue

If you employ a nanny in the UK and you pay her more than £102 per week (tax year 2011/2012) you are required by law to register as an employer with the Inland Revenue and operate a PAYE scheme.

These obligations also apply:

Failure to register as an employer if you are paying your nanny above the weekly threshold is an offence, which can potentially lead to heavy penalties and career-damaging publicity.

More information can be found on the inland revenue website

Operating PAYE

When you employ someone in the UK, you must pay regular income tax and National Insurance Contributions (NICs) on their behalf. You must also pay employer's NIC - this is not part of the gross cost and should be taken into consideration when you are calculating the overall cost of employing someone. As you are classed as a small employer you only have to pay these liabilities to the Inland Revenue on a quarterly basis. All quarterly tax and NI payments are due to be paid to the Inland Revenue by the 19th of the month following the end of each calendar quarter. For new employers the first payment will only be due once your new PAYE scheme has been set up by the Inland Revenue, and you will not be penalized if this is after the due date for any of the first three quarters of the tax year (starting in April).

Your new employee needs to provide you with a P45, which summarizes pay and tax received so far in the current tax year, so that you can prepare the P11 (deduction working sheet) or complete a P46 to send to the Inland Revenue. If your new employee does not have a National Insurance number you will be required to apply for this. Whenever an employee leaves your employment you are required by law to provide them with a form P45. This enables the next employer to deduct the correct amount of income tax. For more comprehensive information on this subject, please refer to the Inland Revenue website.

Filing employer’s annual tax return

At the end of every tax year, you need to

This obligation has defined dates by which you need to complete the returns. Failure to do this can lead to fines.


The above set of regulations and obligations can be a daunting prospect, especially if this is new to you. Luckily, there is an alternative. There are a few companies specializing in pay roll services for domestic staff.

NannyTax We recommend NannyTax who are able to take care of all your pay roll needs, as well as formulate a written statement of particulars, not to mention giving you guidance about the whole process.

Register with us.

View details of available nannies, housekeepers, maternity nurses online.

View our open vacancies waiting for people like you.

Services we offer:

Recommended by the Good Nanny Guide

Happy Home Staff work with Civil & Corporate to ensure all our candidates are fully vetted

We have partnered with NannyTax to ensure we provide the most up to date information around payroll.

We support Action for Children.